JBL 205BT Review
Considering the contained price, JBL was careful not to provide a mains charger and a carrying case. Therefore, when the helmet is not in use, it will be necessary to find a pocket to store it, taking care not to lose it.
Likewise, JBL 205BT ear cups are not magnetic, so it will not be possible to keep them drooping on the chest, especially with their featherweight; we would not even feel them sliding on the ground (a way in which I nevertheless lost my old RHA MA650 BlueTooth headset sniff!).
Ergonomics and comfort
Positioning in the ear with JBL 205BT is done in 2 seconds. The ear cups are very comfortable to use. Thanks to its lightweight (-85g), the JBL 250BT helmet can be forgotten.
I find the ear cups hold pretty well in place and don’t get in the way of use.
The buttons on the remote control allow you to control various functions.
A short press allows you to control the volume, the taking of calls, or the play/pause function.
With a long press, they control the microphone mute and the forward/backward function.
The main button also allows you to turn the headphones on / off. The little JBL jingle resounds in the headphones to signal the headphones’ turning on, pairing, or turning off.
Inside the box of JBL 205BT, just the bare minimum:
- One pair of TUNE 205BT headphones
- One mini orange USB power cable
- One warning card + 1 warranty card + 1 safety sheet
- One quick start guide (QSG)
When you take the helmet out of its thermoformed plastic packaging, it looks quite fragile in construction. However, it has a pretty cool look with ear cups in an anodized metal finish (although it is plastic).
The anti-tangle flat cable seems quite thin. However, I hope it will hold up over time.
In use: isolation and audio rendering
The audio rendering is rather pleasant because it is well balanced. It reminds me of the signature of my JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth speaker, namely clear sound and sufficient bass without being too pronounced. The sound, however, lacks texture and fullness in the mids to be on top, which is not surprising for this price range.
As for the “JBL Pure Bass,” it is a simple marketing argument. For example, having more marked bass would take better insulation of the headphones with foam headphones. Here there is no insulation from outside noise. Do not expect to watch a series quietly in the subway.
Autonomy side, we are actually on 5 / 6h. this is not much to my liking, especially since there is no way to know the battery level. Also, the USB charging port is a micro USB type, which can be annoying for those like me who now have a USB type C mobile.
Features of the JBL 205BT helmet
- Standard autonomy six h max
- JBL Pure Bass sound
- Cable plant anti-tangle
- Built-in microphone for hands-free calls
- Five colors (white magnesium, white gold, white silver, black-blue, and black silver)
- Number of speakers per ear: 1
- Speaker dimension: 12.5mm
- Dynamic frequency response range: 20Hz – 20kHz
- Sensitivity: 100 dB SPL / 1 mW
- Maximum SPL capacity: 106 dB at 1 kHz
- Microphone sensitivity at 1 KHz (dBV / Pa): -21
- Impedance: 32Ω
- Bluetooth transmitter modulation: GFSK, DQPSK, 8-DPSK
- Bluetooth frequency: 2.402 GHz – 2.48 GHz
- Bluetooth profiles: HFP v1.5, HSP v1.2, A2DP v1.2, AVRCP v1.5
- Bluetooth version: V4.0
- Battery type: GSP051230 01
- Lithium-ion polymer battery: 3.7 V, 120 mAh
- Recharging time: <2 h
- Unboxing and first impressions
- The box is classic. In JBL colors, it highlights the great features of this JBL 205BT helmet.
The microphone is not the strong point of this headset. If the remote control is not positioned correctly (i.e., close to the mouth), the sound may appear muffled.
Rubbing noises can also be heard. In short, the hands-free function helps out very well, but you should not buy it for that.
Conclusion on the JBL 205BT helmet
The JBL 205BT headphones are therefore inexpensive Bluetooth headphones that are easy to use and offer decent sound. Of course, there are better (especially at RHA ), but the sound is generous for this price.
If you are looking for Bluetooth headphones without breaking the bank, go for it!